Police surrounded flats in east London last night when a man barricaded himself in and threatened to blow up the block. It is not known whether or not any explosives were found at the property.
Nearby residents in Barking were forced to leave their homes after the man also threatened to burn down the building.
A massive cordon was put in place and Fire and ambulance crews were called to Elsdown House, Wheelers Cross, late on Tuesday, although there were no injuries reported.
Update: Police negotiators are currently on scene talking to a male on the 7th floor of a block of flats who has barricaded himself inside and threatening to blow the flat up and burn the block down. The incident is ongoing and we’ll provide updates as and when we can. https://t.co/91kHoPMclz
— Barking & Dagenham Police (@MPSBarkDag) August 20, 2019
A man was later detained and was given medical treatment by paramedics at the scene, the Met Police said.
Evacuated residents, who had been told to go to The Gascoigne Community Centre, in St Ann’s, were later told they could return home.
Update: The incident is now slowly concluding. The male has been safely detained by police and is now receiving medical attention from @Ldn_Ambulance – Local residents can now return to their homes. Police will remain on scene for the foreseeable. https://t.co/iInCaOk5xP
— Barking & Dagenham Police (@MPSBarkDag) August 21, 2019
Many on social media have asked Barking & Dagenham Police whether this incident is being treated as Terror Related but as of yet no response has been received. No description of the suspect has been released.

Unity News Network (UNN) Staff Writer | To find out more details about our staff, please head to the About Us section on our website.


