Over 200 ‘illegal migrants’ intercepted off the Kent coast by Border Force

Over 200 suspected illegal migrants have been picked up in 18 small boats, the Home Office has confirmed.

A total of 223 people were picked up by the British Border Force with a further eight boats with 106 people on board were stopped by the French authorities from making the crossing, a Home Office spokesman said.

On Sunday 21 migrants reached the UK in two boats, with a further six people being rescued by the French.

UK appoints 'Clandestine Channel Threat Commander' to tackle migration by sea - InfoMigrants
Dan O’Mahoney, clandestine Channel threat commander with Home Secretary Priti Patel

Dan O’Mahoney, clandestine Channel threat commander, said: “These crossings are facilitated by criminals willing to risk people’s lives for money.

“France is a safe country with a fully functioning asylum system – those seeking refuge can and should claim asylum there.

“I recognise the number still reaching the UK remains too high.”

Last week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK had become “a target and a magnet for those who would exploit vulnerable people”.

Over 1460 suspected illegal migrants landed on British soil in August despite Home Secretary Priti Patel’s vowing to make the dangerous route “unviable”.

[give_form id=”1772″ show_title=”false” show_goal=”false” show_content=”below” display_style=”modal”]

-->